WHAT UTILITY TAX?
On June 16, 1994, the Lawndale City Council was forced by economic necessity to enact a 5.5% tax on all utility bills, including electrical, gas, water, telephone, and cable television. The tax took effect on July 15, and showed up on utility bills after August, 1994.
In an effort to keep the imposition of the new tax as equitable as possible, certain categories of residential services users have been declared exempt from paying the tax portion of their utility bills. By resolution, the City Council exempted citizens aged 65 or older, low-income residents, and the disabled from the utility tax.
DO I QUALIFY?
Method of Determining Income Limit Exemption
The limits for the low-income exemption are based on 50% of the median family income for Los Angeles County, with adjustments for family size. These annual income standards are subject to change annually by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development:
Method of Determining Disability Exemption
The Social Security Administration has established criteria of disability, which includes blindness. Blind means either totally or legally blind. Disabled means any physical or mental problem that keeps an individual from working and is expected to last at least a year.
HOW DO I APPLY?
If you, or someone you know, meets any of the exemption categories:
- Sixty-five (65) years of age or older
- Meets the Social Security Administration criteria of a blind or disabled person
- Income does not exceed the H.U.D. established income limits for very low-income families
UUT Exemption Application
Proof of eligibility will be required
- For age exemption, provide one or more of the following: photo ID issued by the state or federal government, verified birth certificate, and/or other appropriate document testifying as to date of birth.
- For income limit exemption, provide one or more of the following: W-2 or paycheck stub, Federal Income Tax form 1040, Social Security or County Benefit Award letter, and/or Section 8 Housing Assistance Certification letter.
- For disability exemption, submit one or more of the following: Social Security Supplemental Income benefit letter for disability benefits or check stub, federal or state disability award letter or check stub, and/or appropriate medical certification of disability which meets the Social Security Administration criteria of disability or blindness.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED BY THE LAWNDALE FINANCE DEPT.
MONDAY – THURSDAY, 7:00 AM TO 5:30 PM (CITY HALL IS CLOSED EVERY FRIDAY)