|Jump to a Section:
What Requires Plan Check
Plan Check Fees
|‣ What Requires Plan Check?
|Generally, the following work requires our Building Plan Check Engineer to review and approve building plans before any permits can be issued:
- New buildings
- Installation and modification of solar power systems
- Additions to buildings
- Tenant Improvements
- Accessory Dwelling Units
- Decks, patios, fences over 6 feet, fireplaces, retaining walls, ADA striping and path of travel
- New and expanded Electrical systems and electrical panels over 400A (more info)
- New and expanded Mechanical systems (more info)
- New and expanded Plumbing systems (more info)
- Changes to existing drainage and grading (more info)
- Grading (more info)
- Changes in occupancy
- Seismic Retrofits
- Replacement of windows or doors that are not the same size as the original
|‣ Submittal Requirements
- Building Permit Application (one application for each detached structure, and separate applications for demolition work and building work). Include the square footage, scope of work, construction type, and costs valuation. The cost valuation will determine the price of the building plan check fee.
- Two sets of plans that include Title 24, structural plans, and calculations, that are stamped by a licensed engineer.
- Payment of plan check fees. Please contact Building & Safety to generate your fee and for payment and submittal instructions.
|‣ Plan Check Fees
|Plan Check fees are determined using the following criteria:
Building Plan Check: 85% of building permit fee.
Electrical Plan Check: 70% of the required permit.
Mechanical Plan Check: 50% of the required permit.
Plumbing Plan Check: 40% of the required permit.
|‣ Agency Referrals
Certain project may require additional clearances from other agencies. The Building Plan Check Engineer will provide a list of required clearances once they approve the building plans. These clearances must be obtained before permits can be pulled.
COVID-19: Procedural Changes
The department's counter is currently closed to the public due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Applicaitons, plans, payments, and other documents are still being processed utilizing the following methods:
Cash, credit cards, debit cards, and card authorization forms are not accepted at this time.
We are only accpeting check's, cashier's check's, and money orders made payable to the City of Lawndale at this time.
1. Drop-Off Bin:
Patron's can leave their application, plans, payments and documents inside the drop-off bin located just outside the main entrance doors of City Hall. The bin is available during our normal business hours: Monday - Thursday, 7 am to 6 pm.
Do not drop-off any items outside of these hours!
Patron's can also mail-in their items. Please using the following address to send in your item:
City of Lawndale
Community Development Department
14717 Burin Avenue
Lawndale, CA 90260
Patron's may submit their applications and plans by e-mail by sending them to the following e-mail addresses:
Note: Physical copies of plans are still required when submitting new or revised plans.
Phone: (310) 973-3230
Phone: (310) 973-3236
To schedule an inspection, please call the following numbers:
Building: (310) 973-3236 or
Planning: (310) 973-3230