|Building Plan Check
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, WE ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC AND ARE ONLY ACCEPTING THE FOLLOWING FORMS OF PAYMENTS: personal checks, cashier checks, or money orders made payable to the City of Lawndale.
Our Building Plan Check Engineer is available on Tuesday mornings. Please contact Building & Safety to contact the Plan Check Engineer at (310) 973-3226.
THERE ARE CURRENTLY NO OVER-THE-COUNTER PLAN CHECKS. Typical turn-around time for submittals and resubmittals is at 4 to 6 weeks at the moment.
You can drop-off your payment, application, plans, reports, and calculations using our drop-off bin located outside the main doors to City Hall. Please include the project address and scope of work when submitting your application.
City of Lawndale
Building Plan Check
14717 Burin Avenue
Lawndale, CA 90260
You may also submit your application and PDF files of plans, reports, and calculations online for expeditious processing to:
| What Requires Plan Check
|Generally, the following work requires our Building Plan Check Engineer to review and approve building plans before any permits can be issued:
- New buildings
- Installation and modification of solar power systems
- Additions to buildings
- Tenant Improvements
- Accessory Dwelling Units
- Decks, patios, fences over 6 feet, fireplaces, retaining walls, ADA striping and path of travel
- New and expanded Electrical systems and electrical panels over 400A (more info)
- New and expanded Mechanical systems (more info)
- New and expanded Plumbing systems (more info)
- Changes to existing drainage and grading (more info)
- Grading (more info)
- Changes in occupancy
- Seismic Retrofits
- Replacement of windows or doors that are not the same size as the original
| Submittal Requirements
|Once you have been instructed to submit your plans to Building & Safety Plan Check, please make sure your submittal includes the following:
- Building Permit Application (one application for each detached structure, and separate applications for demolition work and building work). Include the square footage, scope of work, construction type, and costs valuation. The cost valuation will determine the price of the building plan check fee.
- Two sets of plans that include Title 24, structural plans, and calculations, that are stamped by a licensed engineer.
- Payment of plan check fees. Please contact Building & Safety to generate your fee and for payment and submittal instructions
| Agency Referrals
|Certain project may require additional clearances from other agencies. The Building Plan Check Engineer will provide a list of required clearances once they approve the building plans. These clearances must be obtained before permits can be pulled.