Jump to a Section:
Permitted Construction Hours
Verify If Your Address is in Lawndale
Applications & Forms
Permit Fees
Construction & Demolitions Debris
Documents & Info For Contractors
Documents & Info For Owner-Builder
Permitted Construction Hours
Consturction work can be done only during the time frames listed below:
Monday - Friday: 7am to 7 pm
Saturday: 8 am to 5 pm
Sundays and Holidays: No work allowed

Please contact Code Enforcement to report any construction outside of these hours by calling (310) 973-3220.
Verify If Your Address is in Lawndale

If a property is located between Prairie Ave to Crenshaw Blvd, the property is located in LA County unincorporated area. This area is not serviced by the City of Lawndale.

View the Zoning Map to determine if your property is within the City's boundaries.

List of streets in Unincorporated Area (not serviced by Lawndale):
Arbor Ln, Aviation Blvd, Bodger Ave, Cerise Ave, Chadron Ave, Codary Ave, Cottage Ln, Cranbrook Ave, Doty Ave, Eriel Ave, Ermantia Ave, Faysmith Ave, Florwood Ave, Fonthill Ave, Garden Ln, Gerkin Ave, Kornblum Ave, Lemoli Ave, Patronella Ave, Polly Ave, Roselle Ave, Yukon Ave.

If the property's address is between 3000 - 3900 (from 144th Street - 157th Street), the area is also service by LA County. Use this link to determine which agency or municipality provides services in your area. (LA County Service Locator)

Applications & Forms
Individual permit applications will need to be submitted for work being done on each detached structure (example: 2 separate sets of permits will need to be pulled for work being done in a detached home and a detached garage on a property).

Building Permit Application
You can use this form for work that involves: additions, demolition work, new construction, foundation work, re-roof's, new roof layer, solor power systems, and window and door change outs:

a. Solar Power Systems (commercial and residential-include attachments B,C,D,E)
b. Window and Door swap-outs (include Window Schedule and Door Schedule)

Electrical Permit Application
You can use this form for work that involves: swap out, add, or removing outlet, light switches, conduits, circuts, branch circuits, electrical meters, applicances, temporary power poles, and other apparatus that require electrical work or work that will altering the existing electrical work.

Grading Permit Application
You can use this form for work that involves: moving, adding, or removing a signifigant amount of soil (in cubic yards) on a lot.

Mechanical Permit Application
You can use this form for work that involves: swap out, add, or removing applicances, air vents, air conditioning systems, furnaces, boilers, boilers, vents and vent applicances, range hoods, fireplaces, alterations to ventilation systems, etc.

Miscellaneous Permit
You can use this form for the following items: request a special inspections, apply for new address assignments, apply for Certificate of Occupancy, apply for Temporary Certificate of Occupancy.

Plumbing Permit
You can use this form for work that involves: swap out, add, or removing kitchen sinks, toilets, bathtubs, water lines, gas meters, water heaters, dishwashers, service lines, capping off gas and plumbing lines, washing machine, clothes dryer, grease traps, shower valves, hose bibs, etc.

Sewer Permit

You can use this form for work that involves: altering, disconntect, or connect sewer lines on private property and for work relating to house sewe manhole's, extending house lateral, cesspools, overflow seepage pit, etc.
Permit Fees
Building Permit Fees
Permit and plan check fees are based on the cost valuation for the labor and materials to perform the work. For a calculation of building permit fees, contact the Building Division with the valuation of the proposed work and the square footage for the scope of work.

Solar Power System
Residential system - $741.31
Commercial system - $1,482.63

Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical Permit Fees
Fees are based on "item counts". For example, the fee for an electrical permit for a room addition is based on the number of new switches, light fixtures and outlets. For a calculation of fees, contact the Building Division with an item count of the work to be done.

School Fees
Fees are collected by the Centinela Valley Union High School District at 14901 Inglewood Avenue for all new buildings or additions exceeding 500 square feet. The rates are as follows:

1) Residential Development = $3.402 per square foot
2) Commercial/Industrial Development = $.547 per square foot

For more information, contact the Centinela Valley Union High School District at (310) 263-3227.

Other Fees:

1) City of Lawndale Parks and Recreation Fee:
The construction of new residential units requires the payment of a fee of $400.00 per unit.

2) City of Lawndale Future Sewer Connection Fee
The construction of new buildings, additions, or changes of occupancy requires the payment of sewer capacity fees. The fee is based on the type and size of structure proposed. The fee per new residential unit is $204.00. Contact us for additional information.
Construction & Demolition Debris (C&DD)
Documents & Information For Contractors
  • Provide a copy of their driver's license and contractor's license.
  • Fill out and turn in a Contractor Declaration Form for each job they do in the City.
  • Provide proof that they have an active business license with the City of Lawndale. If a contractor needs to apply or renew a business license, they can go to this link.
  • If an agent is pulling a permit on behalf of the contractor, the agent must provide a valid Authorization Letter and a copy of their valid driver's license.
Documents & Information For Owner-Builder
  • Subject address must be their primary residence.
  • Property owner must reside on the property for a minimum of 12 months before they can apply for building permits.
  • Provide a copy of a valid driver's license.
  • Provide a copy of a recent utility bill (trash, water, gas, electricity).
  • Fill out and turn in an Owner-Builder Declaration Form.
COVID-19: Procedural Changes

The department's counter is currently closed to the public due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Applicaitons, plans, payments, and other documents are still being processed utilizing the following methods:

Payment Notice:
Cash, credit cards, debit cards, and card authorization forms are not accepted at this time.

We are only accpeting check's, cashier's check's, and money orders made payable to the City of Lawndale at this time.

1. Drop-Off Bin:

Patron's can leave their application, plans, payments and documents inside the drop-off bin located just outside the main entrance doors of City Hall. The bin is available during our normal business hours: Monday - Thursday, 7 am to 6 pm.

Do not drop-off any items outside of these hours!

2. Mail

Patron's can also mail-in their items. Please using the following address to send in your item:

City of Lawndale
Community Development Department
14717 Burin Avenue
Lawndale, CA 90260

3. E-Mail:
Patron's may submit their applications and plans by e-mail by sending them to the following e-mail addresses:

Note: Physical copies of plans are still required when submitting new or revised plans.

Adrian Gutierrez
Phone: (310) 973-3230

Esequiel Pimentel
Phone: (310) 973-3236

4. Inspections:
To schedule an inspection, please call the following numbers:

Building: (310) 973-3236 or
Planning: (310) 973-3230

Skip Navigation Link