The following commissions, committees and board serve the City Council in an advisory capacity:
Duties of Advisory Body Members
In addition to specific duties and responsibilities that are described on the web pages for each advisory body, all appointees must comply with applicable state and local laws, e.g., the Ralph M. Brown Act, the Political Reform Act, and state/city ethics laws. Furthermore, appointees may be removed from office for breach of duty, for conduct unbecoming a public official of the city, for violation of the city's code of ethics, for failing to regularly attend meetings or for any cause deemed warranted by a majority of the city council. New appointees are required to undergo a criminal background check.
Qualifying for Appointment
Members are appointed by the mayor, with the approval of the City Council, generally for two year terms. To be appointed to most advisory body positions, a person must be a resident of Lawndale for 30 days prior to submitting an application for appointment. Exceptions to this rule are described on the web page for the individual advisory body. The following do not qualify for appointment:
- Anyone who holds an elected office with the city
- Any city employee
- Any relative of a city employee, i.e., spouse, child, step-child, parent, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, first cousin, parent-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law
- Any one whose spouse or a relative currently serves on the same advisory body
- Any one currently serving on another advisory body
Commissioners receive stipends and may be reimbursed for necessary travel and other expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties when such expenses are first authorized by the City Council. In conformance with state laws, they must receive ethics training once every two years.
- Planning Commission – $50 per meeting attended, up to $100/month
- Parks, Recreation, Social Services Commission – $50 per meeting attended, up to $100/month
- Cable Commission – $30 per meeting attended
Committee and board members do not receive compensation of any kind.
Most Recent Appointments List
Application for Appointment to City Advisory Bodies